Listen to the conversation. Then answer questions 1-4.
1. Which subject does the woman like? 2. What will the woman help the man do? 3. What does the woman do every Thursday? 4. What does the woman tell the man to do?
Listen to the conversation. Then answer questions 5-8.
5. What are the man and woman doing? 6. What does the man say about the phone? 7. Why does the woman think John needs a bag? 8. What will the man do next?
Listen to the conversation. Then answer questions 9-12.
9. Who is Julie going to dinner with? 10. Has Julie been to the restaurant before? 11. What does Mark ask Julie to do at the restaurant? 12. What is Julie and Mark’s relationship?
Listen to the conversation. Then answer questions 13-16.
13. Why is the woman late? 14. Why was the woman lost? 15. What was wrong with the woman’s phone? 16. Why did the woman walk from Canal Street?
Listen to the conversation. Then answer questions 17-20.
17. What is this talk about? 18. Why does the speaker talk about writing presentations? 19. What is the best topic to write about? 20. Why should you make your own website? 1 out of 4
GRAMMAR Choose the correct answer to complete the sentences.
21. ____________ me at the restaurant after work. 22. A: ____________ you live?
B: I live in Jamestown.
23. I need to buy ____________ bread. Can we stop at the shop? 24. The view is beautiful ____________ the evening. 25. We enjoy ____________ family dinner on Sunday evenings. 26. I ____________ TV when you called. 27. I spoke to ____________ hotel manager about the problem with our room. 28. ____________ two libraries in the city. 29. A: Do you want something to drink?
B: I ____________ a cup of tea please.
30. I ____________ early tomorrow morning. 31. ____________ the rain, they moved the concert inside. 32. The cinema is ____________ Hudson Street. 33. I ____________ John at the party yesterday. 34. This test is ____________ than the last test. 35. Ben ____________ right now. He is at the library. 36. I don’t know anyone ____________ lives here. Do you? 37. Can you bring me ____________ jeans behind you? 38. Did you ____________ to the football match last night? 39. We have ten science teachers. All the ____________ offices are on the second floor. 40. A: ____________ you go to London?
B: I went last year.
41. You’ve met Jonas before ____________ ? 42. I have a lot of meetings this morning, so let’s meet ____________ lunch. 43. We have ____________ food for the party, but we need more drinks. 44. John loves this coffee shop and comes here every day. He ____________ gets his coffee here. 45. Elizabeth loves to travel. She ____________ more than twenty countries. 46. I ____________ drive you to the airport. It’s no problem at all. 47. I want to visit ____________ . 48. Mark lived in Rome and Milan, so he speaks Italian very ____________ . 49. A: Did you get the job in Bogota?
B: Yes! I ____________ move there next month.
50. Chinese ____________ in many communities in London. 2 out of 4
VOCABULARY Choose the correct answer to complete the sentences.
51. I spent too much ____________ at the library. I’m late for dinner! 52. I like taking black and white ____________ with my camera. 53. Cathy ____________ to take the job in Boston. 54. There are a lot of cars downtown, and ____________ is really bad around high street. 55. Let’s go home this ____________ so we can have Sunday dinner with mom and dad. 56. Food and art are part of people’s ____________ . 57. I didn’t know the meaning of the word, so I ____________ . 58. A: Hi, Greg. I’d like to ____________ you to my friend, Phil.
B: Hi, Phil. I’m Greg.
59. Be safe, and don’t walk around at night in ____________ areas. 60. ____________ , the website doesn’t accept credit card payments. 61. A: Do you know why Tim is late?
B: It’s ____________ he missed his train.
62. This report is full of ____________ . We can’t use it. 63. He wants to study ____________ so he can work with computers. 64. John ____________ lost his job, so he is looking for a new one. 65. I live on one end of high street, and Sue lives on the ____________ end. 66. It’s not ____________ to bring money. We paid for everything already. 67. Are you ____________ to go? We have to leave now or we’ll be late. 68. I don’t like driving. I ____________ the train. 69. It’s so hot today! What’s the ____________ ? 70. The police arrested the man because he tried to ____________ five million dollars from his company. 3 out of 4
Read an email about parking. Then answer questions 71-73.
From: Parking office
To: All workers in building 45
Starting tomorrow, the office car park will close for two weeks. We need to fix the car park floor. We will also draw new lines to add twenty more parking spaces.
For the next two weeks, you can park your car in the car park on the corner of High and 1st Street. It is the car park next to the Crowne Plaza Hotel. Show your company ID card, and you can park for free.
You can also park on High Street from 9 am to 5 pm. But please remember, you cannot park on 1st Street. If you have any questions, please call the parking office at 020-9809-9090.
71. What is this message about? 72. Where can people park for the next two weeks? 73. How can people park for free?
Read a page from a website about Cornwall. Then answer questions 74-76.
I have lived and worked in Cornwall for most of my life. It is a very special place, and I am lucky to have spent most of my life in this beautiful area. I enjoy sharing with you my favourite places to go in Cornwall. My goal with this website is to give you helpful information about our community.
MUSEUMS: There are more than 70 museums in Cornwall. This page gives you a list of all the museums, their addresses, phone numbers, the times they open and close, and ticket prices.
SLEEP: You can find a list of all the hotels in the area on this page. There is also a list of private houses to rent. You can look through all the listings and make reservations directly on this page.
SWIM: This page includes information about all the beaches in the area. Most beaches are great for swimming, but some are dangerous — so read the rules on this page carefully. You can also find information about parking, food, and activities here. I invite you to check back often as I share new information for the season. I hope you have a wonderful time during your visit to Cornwall.
74. Why did the writer make this website? 75. What information can you find on this website? 76. What does the writer say about beaches?
Read an article about Wilbur and Orville Wright. Then answer questions 77-80.
Wilbur and Orville Wright were the American inventors of the first aeroplane. Wilbur was the older of the two brothers, and they always had a close relationship. Their father, Milton Wright, often travelled for work, and he liked to bring back small toys for his children. When Wilbur was 11 years old, Milton brought a model aeroplane for his boys. The plane was made of wood and paper, and the brothers loved playing with it.
As adults, Wilbur and Orville continued to be interested in mechanics and the technology behind how things work. In the 1890s, bicycles became popular in the country. The brothers were good at fixing bicycles and began selling their own designs. They also studied the work of German flyer Otto Lilienthal. But when Lilienthal died in a flying accident, the brothers decided to start their own experiments with flying. They studied birds and how they used their wings to control their flying. They used a similar idea to invent their first plane, and on 17 December 1903, they succeeded. They flew the plane in the air for 59 seconds.
Many people, however, did not believe the brothers really flew an aeroplane. It had never been done before, and the American people didn’t think flying was possible. At that time, Europe was more open to new ideas. So, the brothers moved to Europe in 1908 and spent the next few years trying to sell their aeroplanes. It took Wilbur and Orville many years after their first flight to become famous, but their first 59-second flight changed the history of the world forever.
77. What first made the Wright brothers interested in flying? 78. What was one job the brothers had? 79. How did the brothers invent their first plane? 80. Why did the brothers move to Europe? 4 out of 4